Schools & Universities
Comprehensive monitoring for learning enrichment in students and teachers.
The indoor environment significantly impacts the well-being of people long-term, along with it impacting how we feel and function.
Indoor air quality and environmental comfort as a part of indoor environmental quality are crucial factors in creating a healthy and productive learning environment for students and staff in schools and universities.
Actions taken to improve air quality in education institutions have positive effects on children's overall learning performance, while helping to improve the well-being of teachers and other staff and minimize absenteeism.
Poor Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) is often caused by poor ventilation, high humidity levels, mold, and other allergens. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), IAQ is one of the top environmental hazards facing schools & universities today.
What Can I Do?
Parents / Teachers
- Learn about indoor environmental quality (IEQ) effectiveness and repercussions of poor IEQ
- Talk to your school’s principal, facility director, or super intendant – describe the problem and ask if maintenance can investigate the problem. Learn more here.
- Research your state law requirements regarding IEQ or IAQ (indoor air quality) in schools
Facility Director / Principal / Super Intendant
- Establish an IEQ management program – implement comprehensive monitors (such as TSI’s AirAssure™ IAQ Monitor) through the building to stay ahead of potential risk factors
- Perform routine HVAC system maintenance – making sure the school HVAC system is operating properly with outdoor ventilation maintained at or above the designed minimum value
- Develop a communication plan – be open and address the concerns, outlining a clear process on a preventative maintenance program (provide intentions, activities, results, and next steps for the future)
- Train and educate staff and community on how to begin, improve, or sustain the schools IEQ management program that is put in place
Ensuring good indoor environmental quality in schools and universities requires the involvement of all stakeholders and the implementation of effective solutions. By addressing the issue of IEQ, schools and universities can ensure a healthier, safer, and more productive environment for their students and staff. Check out TSI Solutions to help you achieve your IEQ maintenance program.
Design custom solutions to collect, analyze, and share IEQ data with students, staff, and the community.
Healthy and Productive
Illness reduction, higher productivity levels, & a healthier place to learn.
Data driven decisions enable cost savings to run a sustainable business.